Friday, May 25, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Bread




This isn't about anything 19th century but.....last week my son mentioned making a chocolate zucchini bread and my garden is very productive this spring. I picked a nice zucchini and thought I would give it a try. This is the recipe I used:

Chocolate Zucchini Bread...more like cake :)

3 C. flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 C sugar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon (optional)

2 C zucchini - coarsely grated, drained & squeezed (lightly)
2 eggs
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt (I used a 1/2 cup plain yogurt cheese, its what I had on hand)
1 t vanilla

Optional
1/2 C chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 C chocolate chips and OR Raisins (next time I'll use raisins too!)

Preheat oven 350. Greased and lightly flour (can use cocoa to coat pan instead of white flour) or non-stick cooking spray (which is what I used) either two loaf pans or one tube or bundt cake pan, either will work. I used a large metal tube pan.

Mix wet ingredients. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir with wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.  
Then add your nuts, chips and/or raisins until just incorporated. (Hint - first coat the nuts/chips/raisins with a little flour, keeps them from sinking to the bottom of cake/bread) Pour/spoon mixture (quite thick) into prepared pan/s. 
Bake about 60 min. give or take 5-10 min. Check cake/bread with long pick, till it comes out clean/dry. Let cool 15 min in pan on rack, the turn out to cool on cake rack.

PS...I'm always telling my son...(who lives in another state) to cut cakes/breads in half or sections and FREEZE. It is always a treat when you crave some and it is already for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment